French Language Placement Questionnaire

I am out of the country and cannot come to the Department of French Studies to complete the placement questionnaire. What should I do?

The French Language Placement Questionnaire is to be completed and submitted online. For more information about the placement questionnaire please visit Placement Test page.

If you have questions, please email us at lapsfrench@yorku.ca.

Is there a deadline to complete and submit the French language placement questionnaire?

If you wish to enrol in a French Course, please complete and submit the placement questionnaire before classes start. For the 2020-2021 academic session the last day to complete and submit the placement questionnaire is September 4th 2020.

I am now taking a course that I feel is too difficult or too easy for me. What should I do?

Please contact frenud@yorku.ca as soon as possible. The DFS will make every effort to assist you.

Can I use the results from the placement test at Glendon and get placed in a course at Keele?

No.  The French Department at Glendon and the Department of French Studies on the Keele campus use different French language placement assessment tools.

Enrolling into French Courses

Why does the system keep telling me that spaces are reserved?

You need a permission from the department to enrol in French courses. Please contact the department at lapsfren@yorku.ca and/or fill out the placement questionnaire if it is your first time enrolling.

I have permission but I can’t enrol in the course.

This may mean that the class is full or you have used your permission already.

Permissions are good for one use only. If you have dropped a course and need to re-enrol or if you wish to switch sections, please email lapsfren@yorku.ca to ask for a new permission. Please email us promptly as seats fill up very quickly.

Do I need a new permission every time I want to switch sections?

As mentioned above, permissions are good for one use only. If you wish to switch sections, please email lapsfren@yorku.ca to ask for a new permission. Please email us promptly as courses fill up very quickly.

I have permission but the class is full. What to do?

We strongly recommend that you enrol in courses as soon as you receive permission to do so. If the course you have permission to enroll in is full, you will have to monitor the course enrolment status in order to see if anyone drops from the course – in which case you may be able to enrol.

You may, of course, require permission from the professor to audit the course until a space comes available. Please note though that since the number of students in each course is capped, auditing a course does not entitle you to a seat in the course.

Can someone call me when spaces become available? Is there a waiting list?

No. It is your responsibility to monitor the enrolment status of the course.

Can I enrol in French courses even if I am not a French minor or major?

Yes, of course. We would be happy to welcome you!

Can I enrol in French courses offered at Glendon College if I am a French minor or major in LA&PS?

Please contact DFS-Keele at frenud@yorku.ca as soon as possible.

Do I have to wait to enrol until the Registrar’s Office accepts my program change request?

No, you don’t.


Who can help me select my French courses?

The departmental team would be pleased to help you. Please contact the Department of French Studies at lapsfren@yorku.ca.

If you are minoring or majoring in French Studies, please contact frenud@yorku.ca.

I am placed in a 1000 level course. Am I allowed to take more than one French course during the school year?

No. The structure of the French Studies program does not allow this.


Do 2000 level French linguistics (AP/FR 2100) and literature (AP/FR 2200) courses have to be taken in the same year?

It is not a requirement. However if you are majoring or minoring in French Studies and if your schedule allows it, it is highly advisable.

Are the courses offered by the Department of French Studies at the undergraduate level considered French as a Second Language (FSL) courses?

All the DFS undergraduate courses (language, literature and linguistics), at all levels, are directed to French as a Second Language learners.

Missed Tests/Exams

I missed a test or an examination. What should I do?

Students who miss a test or an exam have no automatic right to a make-up test or exam.

Students have to submit a deferred standing agreement.

A make‐up test/exam may be scheduled at the discretion of the instructor and/or course director in the case of multiple sections courses.

A make up test/exam will only be scheduled under exceptional circumstances (see below What are exceptional circumstances?). Supporting documentation verifying these exceptional circumstances must be provided to the instructor/course director. Failure to provide appropriate documentation will result in a grade of F on the test/exam.

If you missed a test/exam, please:

  1. Contact the instructor/ Course Director by email as soon as possible within 24 hours of the missed test/exam.
  2. Provide the following information in your email:
    - First and last names
    - Student number, course and course section
    - Phone number and email where you can be reached
    - The reason why you missed the test/exam
    - If the exam is a final exam scheduled in the examination period, a list of the dates and times for all other exams that you are required to write during the examination period. For each exam you must identify the course name, number, and section, as well as the name of the instructor.
  3. Provide the instructor/course director with a completed deferred standing agreement and supporting documentation verifying the circumstances for the missed test/exam. Failure to provide appropriate documentation will result in a grade of F on the missed test/exam.

IMPORTANT: If you cannot contact your instructor within 24 hours, please provide subsequent documentation accounting for the delay.

See: Registrar's Office Exams and Tests

What are exceptional circumstances?

Exceptional circumstances are events or issues that you did not expect and have  impacted your studies. These include medical and non medical circumstances. For example, bereavement, unexpected personal or family problems or illness might be considered exceptional circumstances.

You will have to document the exceptional circumstance that has prevented you from writing a test or exam.

In the case of medical circumstances, supporting documentation may include an attending physician’s statement or a statement by a psychologist or counsellor.

The physician’s statement shall not disclose any detailed medical information, but must include the following:

  • Full name, mailing address, telephone number of the physician.
  • An indication of whether the illness and/or medication prescribed would have seriously affected the student’s ability to study and perform over the day of the exam.
  • The expected length of your absence from school (i.e., specific dates covered).

NOTE: The physician's office may be contacted to verify the information submitted. No detailed medical report will be requested.

In the case of non‐medical circumstances, supporting documentation may include death certificates, obituary notice, automobile accident reports, airline/bus ticket/receipt for emergency travel (with date of booking on ticket), etc.

Airline/train/bus ticket/receipts for emergency travel must indicate destination, departure, and return dates.

NOTE: Do not purchase a travel ticket before the final exam schedule is released unless it is for emergency travel that will have to be documented.

Your instructor/course director will assess the eligibility of your request to write a make‐up test or exam on the basis of the documentation provided.

What do I do if I have a make‐up test/exam conflict?

As soon as possible please provide your instructor/course director with information regarding the conflict:

  • Course code(s) and title(s)
  • Instructor’s name, email and phone number
  • Date and time of the conflicting test/exam(s)

Your instructor will assess your request and make arrangements to accommodate you, if appropriate.

What do I do if I have a final exam conflict?

This applies if your final exam takes place during the exam period formally scheduled by the Registrar's Office and released on the Courses Web site.

There are three types of undergraduate exam conflicts:

  • Two or more exams at the same time.
  • Three exams on the same calendar day.
  • Exams during three consecutive exam periods within 24 hours (for example: from 7 pm to 10pm, then from 9am to noon and from 2 to 5pm the following day).

If you have an official exam conflict as outlined above, it will appear in red on your personalized exam schedule.

If you have an official exam conflict, you will be notified by the Office of the University Registrar, via email, of alternate arrangements to resolve the conflict. Notice will be provided at least 72 hours prior to the rescheduling date of the conflict exam.

See: Registrar's Office Exams and Tests